Aug./Sept. – Taking up the floor is one of the harder parts in a bus demolition. The heavy duty vinyl is glued to the plywood and the plywood is screwed to the steel bus floor. The majority of the screws are rusted in place so the plywood is very difficult to get up even when using a long pry bar.
But persistence pays off and I’m finally down to the bare steel floor. Now to dispose of all the old plywood flooring.
Once I started taking the floor up it was also time to remove the old floor heaters. There were two of them, one in the middle of the floor and one towards the back. Make sure to use some kind of bucket or tub to make sure you catch all the anti-freeze that will drain out of the line once you cut it open. Then to close the system back up I used a 1″ brass U-fitting.
Now that the floor is up it’s time to put my tool chest in the rear of the bus so I can store all my tools in it and get them up off the floor. It’s actually going to stay there permanently once I prep and finish the floor in the very back. I’m measuring in 2.5 feet from the back door and that will be my electrical/solar battery/storage room. I’ll then build a wall across the width of the bus and that will be the back wall of the bedroom on the other side.
I am storing all my tools in the bus which is parked in a storage lot while I do the conversion. To keep out the thieves it’s time to put a lock on the front and back door. The back door lock will stay on permanantly. The one on the front bi-fold door is only there during the conversion. Right at the end I’ll install a nice looking RV style door with a nicer looking home door style lock.