Day 11 – New Man Cave Storage

Jan. 21st, 2017 – Today I put Southern Comfort in his new man cave.  It’s a 13×55 enclosed storage unit with lights and electrical outlets included.  This will allow me to place tools, equipment, and furnishings up front for easy access and still have plenty of room for the bus.  The best thing about it all is that it’s completely secured.  The old location was an  open storage lot exposed to the hot sun with a separate 10×10 storage unit that I had to run back and forth too if I needed something.

This enclosed unit will allow me to remove all the windows to re-seal them and do work on the roof without ever having to worry about getting rained on or water inside the bus.



Day 10 -Initial measurements for cabinets and appliances.

Jan. 14, 2016 – Today we taped off the back storage area and put down a temporary sole plate to show where the wall will be going.  Also taped of an area around one wheel well to have an idea of where the box covering it will go.  Then before calling it a day we made notes on the ceiling insulation to help us remember what will go where.  We have detailed plans on paper as well but it was nice to see that our initial plans will actually fit the way we hoped they would.

Day 9 – Patching The Holes

Dec. 2016 – As I mentioned in my very first post I think it’s extremely important to completely remove the existing floor in order to determine if you have any areas that are completely rusted through.  That way you can patch them up properly to help keep out critters and any new water/moisture.  Here is an example of what I’m talking about.  This is a hole completely rusted all the way through with daylight showing.


I don’t think this step is necessary if you are just going to use your bus on the weekends or for a few weeks a year for vacations as the amount of cost and effort is just not worth it.  However, if you plan to live in it full time I think it is a very important step.

I had good sized holes rusted all the way through on my floor around all the wheel wells.  So I patched them all with sheet aluminum and then sealed them well on the bottom and top with a good polyurethane sealant.  Once all the holes were patched I put a good coat of rustoleum on the whole floor.


All that is left to do now is to seal up all the bolt holes where the seats were attached.  I’ll use an aluminum butyl tape that is used for roof flashing, sometimes called flashing tape.

Day 8 – New Insulation Inside

Dec. 2016 – Today I installed new 1/2″ Poly-iso foam board insulation into the ceiling area.  The support ribs are exactly 25 1/2″ apart so I cut the foam board 1/16″ bigger and it made for a nice tight press fit into the openings.  This helped me save some money by not having to buy any glue to help hold them in place.  Once I completed the ceiling I then installed 3/4″ foam board into all the side panel openings the same press fit way.


Day 6 – Side Panel Removal

Nov. 2016 – Another 500 or so screws to take out to remove all the side panels.  Lots of them rusted in place so I had to use the angle grinder to remove the heads.  Lots of moldy fiberglass insulation too.  School bus windows are notorious for leaking so all the water goes down behind the panels.   Once all the old insulation is out I’ll be replacing it with Poly-iso foam board insulation 3/4″ thick.

Day 5 – Ceiling Removal Complete

Oct. 2016 – Well, I finally got the entire ceiling down and the old fiberglass insulation out and removed.  I still need to clean up the old insulation residue left behind before putting in new foam board insulation.


Here’s my first video that I made regarding the bus.  My apologies for the quality and narration.  I’ll get better over time :-).

Next item on the agenda is the removal of the side panels on both sides of the bus.  Stay tuned.